Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Love Song of J. alfred Prufrock (1915)

The first line brings the reader directly into the setting with the narrator, “Let us go then, you and I.” I believe that this is a technique that the narrator uses to pull the reader into the mind of the character. It works too. As I began to read, I became more aware of my surroundings. I realized that I was alone or by myself in my room, just like Prufrock was in solitary gloom. I felt sorry for Prufrock. It is sad and a waste to dwell on this lady that he will never talk too. The phrase that keeps coming to my mind is seize the day!


Prufrock’s indecisiveness keeps him from proclaiming love to the lady whose love he seeks. In the next stanza, the reader receives images of a dull autumn in which Prufrock makes “a sudden leap” which I can assume is his attempt to speak to his lady love. However, in the next two lines, “and seeing that it was a soft October night, Curled once about the house, and fell asleep,” I get the impression that once again he has hesitated due to his fear of rejection.

The next stanza, the phrase “There will be time,” represents his hesitation in talking to the lady he loves. Prufrock does not dare disturb the universe, meaning that he has never been one to take a chance and will not do so now. He refers to his social circle and how they have never seen him amount to anything more than a lonely man.

He thinks about what he might say if the right time presents itself, but he gives up as soon as he starts. He excuses his indecisiveness by rationalizing that even if he had presented the lady with his words of affection, she would have turned those words down.

This poem is very sad to me. I could not imagine the regret he will die with by never speaking to this lady he cares for so much. I look back on my life and remember all the chances I took, and I realize that no matter what the outcome a new door of opportunity opened even with rejection. Taking a chance has helped me grow as a person. I also look back and reminisce on what could have been if I would have said that or done this. I feel sorry for the man, because he has never learned what it is like to go for what he wants or believes is right.

Prufrock constantly refers to Michelangelo. I see this as a comparison. Michelangelo is everything Prufrock is not. Michelangelo has a flow of creativity and energy; whereas, Prufrock is lifeless and destitute. I understand his comparison; we all do it. We compare ourselves to famous actors/actresses, and professional athletes. However, with Prufrock, this comparison is an attempt by him to feel sorry for himself. He has no self-esteem whatsoever. He has no confidence and no life. It is hard to relate to such a character, because he does not even like himself. I think about my life and I can be a solitary person also, but I could never be that confined. As human beings, I belief we crave social experiences. I think about depression and other issues that come along with feelings of weariness, regret, embarrassment, longing, and awareness of mortality. I feel sorrow because that is not living.

Near the end of Prufrock’s “love song” there is a reference to Hamlet, a hero who hesitated but eventually acted decisively. Prufrock uses the references towards Hamlet to compare himself, once again, by referring to a character that is his complete opposite. Prufrock does not see himself as confident or heroic.

He, eventually, comes to terms with his solitary future. He will grow old alone, and will die alone. He will be dignified in his solitary confinement of old age and as a passionless old man, because he rationalizes that he chose to be alone and that is how he wants it to end. However, by the tone of the poem I see him as a man that is yearning to be understood and feel affection.

Affection is a part of human nature, as is fear of rejection. As children we need love, care, and friendship. As we get older we still need those feelings of affection, but we fear that those we love will not love us back. We fear that love only lasts as long as the word itself takes to leave the mouth. We understand that our hearts can break if we put them out there, but if we do not try and love we will never receive love in return. It is sad that rejection occurs, but without rejection we would never learn what true love is from lust.

This is a modern poem because Prufrock illustrates disillusionment and disenchanted desires. He captures the nature of life as dull and nonliving. He portrays the essence of pathetic and unmotivated desires for affection.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan, Wonderful response to the poem. You touched upon many of the poems significant themes, and I am glad that you compared Prufrock to Hamlet and Michelangelo. Prufrock is indeed unable to act--hence the irony of the title, a love song that is never sung. The poem is sad, but revealing and, I hope, interesting to discuss. See you in class. And thanks for the thoughtful response. dw

    ReplyDelete