Saturday, September 11, 2010

Araby

I was sitting at work while reading Araby, early in the morning on Saturday. My eyes were weary, and the beginning of the story seemed unexciting. However, this technique did build up my expectation of adventure or wonder soon to come in the midst of the story.

the boy seemed interest in the house and its surroundings. He was curious about the books he read, and hew was even more fascinated by the girl net door. His innocence was exposed by the way he watched for her everyday just so he could walk to school behind her. I could relate to his inability to speak. I have had my fair share of situations, in which, I wanted to say so much more but refrained in hopes that I would be spoken to first. I began to feel his anxious heart awaiting the perfect moment to say something anything.

finally, when the girl turned and spoke to him I could feel his stumbling delight. This was his moment of opportunity. As she spoke to him, he got confused. I understand his confusion, because sometimes when I get excited my mind also runs away with that pleasure. he gets a grasp and filters what has been said. She had asked him if he was going to Araby, the upcoming bazaar. she was excited about it and wished she could go too. He conjures up the ability to ask why she cannot go to the bazaar, and finds out that she has a retreat coming up during the bazaar. His courage soars, as he recommend him to go to the event. He tells her if he goes he will bring something back for her. In his mind, he is thinking this is the perfect way to confess his deep affection. If he goes to Araby and brings her something back, she will be without a doubt happy.

As the next few days' progress, Araby is all he can think about. He wants to get her something special, and it is really the only reason he is going. He gets permission from his uncle and must wait for him to return home so he can go with money fro transportation and for a little spending. However, his uncle is late and has forgotten about the boys desires. i can fell the hope of the young boy drifting ever so softly away with each minute he waits.

When the uncle arrives home, it is quite late, but the boy still wishes to depart. His uncle gives him a small amount of money and the boy scuttles off on his adventure. The florin the boy gets is not very much, but the boy is naive at this point. He just wants to continue and hopefully he finds her a gift. The readier is now confronted with the frustration of living in this time period.

When the boy arrives, the bazaar is closing. At this point, I knew the happy ending would be lost. We have all reached that point of disappointment, but I was rooting for this young man. I wanted him to get the girl and live happily ever after.

This story was written in the midst of WWI, and the author (Joyce) captures the feeling of hope being distraught. he captures the feeling of being lost, wanting adventure, and wanting more. This time period was one that hit modernism with an iron fist. Reading this passage I feel the sense of despair. This time period had a grave effect on the people in the world. Their desires, dreams, and faith were challenged with every waking moment. Modernism realized this and exploited it. it brought people to the face of harsh reality. Just as the boy was naive, he was awakened by his journey. I am sad that he had to learn in such a way that is, to me, almost inhumane. He had no one to turn too. He stood alone in the world and my heart aches knowing that he lost his hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment